Friday, June 3, 2011

Corn Tamale Cakes w/Pulled Pork Loin, Salsa, Guacamole and Sour Cream

One of my favorite things about gardening and Farmer's Markets is the inspiration in the kitchen. I don't just love to cook, I adore it. I read cookbooks and recipes like many people read novels, magazines or newspapers. And I love to create something new, healthy and delicious for my family. On the menu tonight is a personal favorite of mine, Corn Tamale Cakes. They are so easy and so delicious. You can top them with any protien you have on hand, tonight I just happened to have some leftover pulled pork loin. You could also use chicken, grilled flank steak or black beans (a great vegan option and my personal favorite).

Here is a look at the Tamale Cakes we had tonight:

To make these cakes, you only need a few simple ingredients:

1 box Jiffy or other corn muffin mix, prepared according to package directions
2/3 cup corn
1/3 cup green onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cheddar or pepper jack cheese, shredded (optional, I didn't use it this time)

Fold corn, onion and cheese into prepared muffin mix. Heat non-stick skillet to medium low heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. These cakes cook like pancakes. Spoon 1/3 cup mounds into skillet and cook until set. Flip and finish cooking.
Serve hot, topped with your favorite meat or beans, diced tomatoes, fresh salsa, guacamole and sour cream... and lots of jalapenos! Enjoy!

This recipe is especially delicious in the heart of growing season. Fresh corn, onions, homemade salsa and homemade pickled jalapenos... absolutely delicious! I hope you try it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment